Saturday, February 4, 2012

Presidents' Day


I say Presidents' Day, you say Presidents Day...Let's call the whole thing off. Ok, we're not singing about tomatoes, but I'm not completely sure what the correct punctuation for this holiday is. I Googled it, and it's still not clear. I think Presidents' Day looks right. Once you get a look at all the goodies I created for you, I don't think you'll mind how I chose to punctuate. I put together a whole days worth of activities for this holiday. I've got Reading, Writing, Math, and Social Studies covered for you. I really appreciate all the kind words you guys have been sending my way and REALLY appreciate you following my blog. It's just like when you have students that are always saying thank you, it makes you want to do that much more for them. I hope you enjoy all the activities. You can click on any of the pictures or HERE to grab a complete and FREE copy of the entire unit. If you like what you see I would love it if you followed me, liked my fan page, and/or left me a comment. Either way, I wish you luck as you continue to create magic in your classroom!

Social Studies
Have students research Abraham Lincoln. Using the information they gather, have them make a biopoem. Once they have created the poem, they can type it into Tagxedo. Have them choose the Abraham Lincoln shape and print. It is so cool. If you don't know about Tagxedo, check out my post from last week, HERE.
Writing
Click HERE or on the book cover to get a free online video version of the book, So You Want to Be President. You will have to watch a commercial, but you can download using Zamzar. If you download, it will eliminate the commercial for you and you can save it to your flashdrive. Let me know if you need help with this.  After reading the book, let students write a descriptive paragraph about what they would do if they were president.
Math
Let students stack pennies and find the mean, median, mode, and range. Your students will LOVE this!
Reading
Let students read the passage and complete the graphic organizer.

Liz from Liz's Lesson created a great French and Spanish Presidents' Day packet. Click HERE or the picture to get this foreign language freebie.                                                                                


For another great activity, check out Diary of The Not So Wimpy Teacher's freebie. 



37 comments:

  1. When I click on either link it doesn't let me access this, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO sorry, Jessica. I've triple checked the links and they work for me. Here is a direct link to the Googledocs: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4HFwfdLs3hCMTkwOGI4NzktMjNiYS00ZTFkLWI4YTMtYjkyMjdlNTkyNzMz&hl=en_US

      If you can't access the video go to: http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=54178&title=So_You_Want_To_Be_President_

      Let me know if you still have problems, and I will email it to you. Again I'm so sorry!

      Selina

      Delete
  2. This looks like an awesome activity. My brain is going 90 mph trying to figure out when and how I am going to do this. woohooooo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggled with Firefox and used Safari instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... I'm using Firefox without problems. I'll have some techie friends check it out for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. I clicked on the link over the picture of Lincoln and it printed out just fine. Thanks so much,the mini unit is great, awesome, fantabulous! Keep the freebies coming :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was getting stressed that it wasn't working. I really appreciate the kind words, and will keep the freebies coming:)

      Delete
  5. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julie. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing such amazing ideas and activities!!!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selina, Thank you so much for sharing! Your items all look great! I won't use them all just because some are a little advanced for my kinders and firsties, but I am thrilled that there is so much here that I can use!!
    Camille
    An Open Door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Camille! My mom teaches 1st grade, so I try to give her at least one thing she can use. (She's my #1 Fan, of course.) BTW, I'm your newest follower:)

      Delete
  8. Selina, I was able to access your unit just fine. What great ideas you have! Your students are fortunate to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great ideas! Thank you for sharing them. I am now following you!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the penny stacking sheet! So wonderful :) Thank you for sharing all of this with us...great ideas to use on Presidents' Day :)

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to do some of these ideas with my kids! I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll come visit my blog!

    Pitner's Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I'm your newest follower, too.

      Selina

      Delete
  13. You are Pinned...Thank you for sharing your talents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I REALLY appreciate you pinning for me!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Everything You Need to Know About Printable Practice GED Test
    ged book 2011

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Selina. My students will enjoy these activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Mary! Thanks for commenting.

      Selina

      Delete
  16. Nice post, keep for your cute

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is blissful timing as we are doing Mean, Median, Mode and Range next week, after President's Day. Presidents' Day? I like your comment about the punctuation. I usually give those things a lot of thought as well! Thank you for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just some feedback: The document seemed to have trouble printing "ti," "tt" and "ff" in the words on the Biopoem, Penny Data, and Venn Diagram pages. These letters were replaced with a box for some reason. Just thought you should know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the great freebies. I blogged about using the penny data sheet on my blog at pypinparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete