Saturday, February 18, 2012

Just In Time for Monday

Just in case you didn't have enough activities for Presidents' Day, here's one more. Click HERE or the book cover for a free online version of the book, Arthur Meets the President. In the book Arthur visits several national landmarks. Teaching national landmarks is in our state standards, so I thought I would work that into Monday's lesson. Click HERE or the picture for a National Landmark Foldable Booklet. Arthur visits each of these places in the book. I've included two versions. One with the names and one without. You could have the kids find one fact about each or just write in the name of the landmark. The map on the last page can be used to trace Arthur's journey through Washington DC.


Here's a cute video,too.


Good luck as you continue to  create magic in your classroom!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Wow, you've made my day. I LOVE every thing you do, so your praise means a lot. Thanks!!!!!

      Selina

      Delete
  2. Kids LOVE Arthur books! I like how you tied in the national landmarks with this book. Great idea!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I don't know about you, but our social studies state standards are jam packed. It is so hard for me to fit it all in. I get to check off a few with this lesson.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Thanks for the ideas. I am definitely going to "show" the Arthur book and the cool president video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the book and the website for the book. Awesome!!

    April
    check out my blog:
    wolfelicious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April. I checked out your blog, and I'm your newest follower. If you ever want to join a great blogging community, Teaching Blog Traffic School (TBTS)is a great place come. I've learned so much from Charity Preston and gotten to network with some awesome people.

      Delete
  5. Used the 2 videos with my students today and they loved them both. We wrote letters to the president like Arthur did. Thanks for the tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne! I love hearing about successes in the classroom. I'm glad your kids enjoyed it.

      Selina

      Delete
  6. I just did this with a second grade class in the library! They loved it. Especially the song. Well, no maybe they loved the different voices on the ARthur book..ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear they enjoyed it! My 4th graders couldn't get enough of the song. Thanks for sharing.

      Selina

      Delete