I don't think advertisement creators know what a blessing they are to teachers. I love the La Quinta and GEICO commercials. This commercials are PERFECT for teaching figurative language. I've created a freebie for you to go along with the commercials. The Kicking Butt and Taking Note's commercial is not included in my printable because I teach 4th grade, and the Boss Man would not let me use that one in the classroom. If you teach older students, use it as a model for how to complete the printable. I know the kids would find it hilarious.
Day 1: Idioms
1. Discuss what an idiom is.
2. Write an example on the board. (Draw picture of the literal and write the actual meaning like in the printable.)
3. Show the commercials and have students complete the printable.
4. Go over the answers to the printable.
Day 2: Similes
1. Discuss what makes a smile.
2. Show several GEICO Happier Than commercials. (Will need to change it to Happy As)
3. Assign the Happy As Commercial Challenge
4. Let students share their commercials.