Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Math Olympics

As part of my measurement unit, I hold a Math Olympics in my classroom. I have an opening ceremony that includes a parade of athletes and the running of the torch. Oriental Trade has the coolest flaming torch. (See the picture below) I have five events set up as stations that students rotate through. These stations include a javelin throw (straw), discus throw (paper plate), shot put (cotton ball), high jump, and long jump. Students work in pairs to help each other with the measuring. This can take place in one day or over the course of a week. At the end of the day or week, I have an award ceremony. I play the National Anthem and give students their medals. It makes a great culminating activity for a measurement unit.  Click {HERE} or on the picture to grab your freebie. 











If you are looking for more great measurement resources, click the Measurement Mania Freebie Collection below. Each freebie is from a different blogger. You can hop from one awesome blog to the next, picking up more great freebies. Enjoy and good luck as you continue to create magic in your classroom!

13 comments:

  1. How fun!! We just finished up our Measurement Unit. I am going to save it for testing review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, thank you! I hope your students enjoy it as much as mine did.

      Selina

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I will use this once I have a class of my own. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you like it! Good luck on your student teaching and job hunt. I'm your newest follower!

      Selina

      Delete
  3. This is my first visit to your blog. The fourth grade teacher who teaches next door to me had her students doing this too. They looked like they were having a blast! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I also want to say that I love your blog design. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! I really appreciate all the praise. I hope you come back and find lots of resources you can use in your classroom.

      Selina

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I'm following you now! My class is going to LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is PERFECT! I only focus on the olympics with my students every 4 years and, instead of filing these activities away to reference later, I end up creating "events" over & over. You've made it easy enough to use now and save for 2016. Thanks for the time-saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you found this useful.

      Selina

      Delete
  6. This is awesome. I'm going to adapt it for my 1/2/3 self-contained class. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such an awesome resource. Found you while searching for ideas after my 4th grade team meeting today. We talked about setting up something similar. Can't wait to share with my teamies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope your students enjoy it and learn a lot.

      Selina

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your creativity - we are doing measurement next week and with the Olympics just finishing I think this will be an awesome theme.

    ReplyDelete