Friday, February 24, 2012

Transformation Fun


I like to break my lessons into chunks. I think this chunking method helps students attend to the lesson better and is brain friendly. A typical lesson for me usually has three to four parts. I have an essential question, such as, what is a transformation? After that, I would engage with the Transformation Hustle. (See the video for the instructions.) I would further explain with the Transformation video. (Let me know if you need instructions on how to save YouTube videos to a flash drive.) Then the students would explore with the transformation craftivity. Click HERE or on the picture for a free copy. I apologize for having a zillion versions, but I was trying to cover a wide grade range. I teach my students the SLide and FLip trick for remembering what a reflection and translation are, so I made some with SL and FL capitalized in the middle. Finally, I would give my students examples of transformations and let them answer on their whiteboards. I jot down the names of students that are still struggling. Sometimes I have them answer the EQ in their math journals.


I would love to have you as a follower. Either way I wish you luck as you continue to create magic in your classroom.

Lessons From The Middle

4 comments:

  1. So cute! I love how you used a brad on the rotation. SUCH a great idea!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you save the videos to a flash drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click on the YouTube logo in the lower right hand corner of the video. It will then take you to the video and copy the address from the address bar. Go to zamzar.com Click URL and paste in the address. On step 2 choose wmv (some people can use flv but it doesn't work for me at school), Step 3 type in your email. Step 4 click Convert. A box will pop up and you need to click OK. Don't close out of the website until downloading is complete. In a few minutes they will send you a link to the converted video. Save to your computer or flash drive. You only have 24 hours to download after they send you the link. Let me know if you still need help.

      Delete