Sunday, March 25, 2012

Geometry Fest

I just finished up my Geometry Unit with the culminating activity being a Geometry Fest. Stations were set up all around my room, and the students rotated through them. The students had a blast but also learned a ton, too. I'll try to describe each station in enough detail for you to duplicate. Let me know if you have any questions.

Giant 3-D Solids
 This was by far the most popular station. The students used inflated windbags and rubber-bands to create giant solids. These can be purchased at Steve Spangler. They are about a dollar, each but you only need a total of 12. If you are careful you can reuse them over and over. Ive used these 3 times and will be able to use them again. I have one student that struggles with most math concepts. The student struggled at every station to understand edges, vertices, and faces. When the student was able to stand inside the 3-D object, it finally clicked. It was awesome to see the light bulb come on.

Secret Structure

      Students used pattern blocks to  create a structure behind a book or file folder. Then the student described the shape to his/her partner and the other student reconstructed the shape.
 Newspaper Shapes
     Students used newspapers to create dowels. All you need is newspapers, a few straws (these can be reused), and tape.  Then they used the dowels to create geometric solids. I had them cover the structure with paper and create a poster for their solid.  Cubes don't work well for this activity. The dowels are just not strong enough to support the shape. There is a learning curve for creating a tight dowel. Watch the video for help. 

 Shape Recipes
     Students filled a shape card and wrote a recipe (pattern blocks used) for their creation. 
 Polydron Shapes
     Students created shapes using polydrons and completed the shape characteristics sheet. If you don't have polydrons, you can have them construct the paper ones. I had them create the three most common ones for 4th grade assessment. 

 Geometry Vocabulary Game
I created a geometry vocabulary game for the students to play. They spin a homemade spinner then act out, sketch, or define the vocab term. Just cut apart the vocab cards and turn them face down. Students take turns giving the clues for the vocab term. You need a minute timer or stopwatch. The first team to get 10 points wins.


I created a few free printables you might find helpful if you decide to have your own Geometry Fest. Click {HERE} or the picture to grab a copy.  I would LOVE to know what you think. Please let me know if you find any mistakes. All the feedback you gave me last time was super helpful.
Stephanie Moorman from Teaching in Room 6 wrote two guest posts all about Geometry for Laura Candler. These ideas would be perfect to incorporate into a Geometry Fest. Click on the links to read about them.
Hands on Geometry Part 1
Hands on Geometry Part 2

Good luck as you continue to create magic in your classroom!

16 comments:

  1. Love this! I want to use this next year. Too bad we already finished that unit this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really sad that 4th grade Common Core doesn't have geometric solids as a standard. I hope you can use it next year!

      Selina

      Delete
    2. Selina, this is a FABULOUS post. Seriously, such great, creative ideas. I love it!! I have pinned and am sharing out now. People need to see this!

      ~Stephanie
      Teaching in Room 6

      (and thank you again for the shout out. You are too kind)

      Delete
    3. Thanks Stephanie! I chuckled when I read your Geometry posts because I knew I must be teaching the same thing as you. I really love your stuff. I've watched your Calender Math video 5 times:)

      Selina

      Delete
    4. I think we all must be basically on the same pacing plan. I keep looking around the interwebs and run across people doing the same thing I am. Makes me feel like I am not alone out here ;)

      And I promise, the Calendar video would be MUCH better if the kids were in it. But alas they were at recess...so I just did it all by my lonesome ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Selina,
    Since we are moving to CCSS beginning next year I'll pass your marvelous geometry freebies along to the third grade teachers in my building. Thank you for such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad I won't get to teach this next year. Thanks for passing it on!

      Selina

      Delete
  3. This is awesome!! I am just finishing up my geometry unit so I can use some of these!

    Kaitlin

    beyondteachings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many ideas! Thank you so much for sharing!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I'm your newest follower.

      Selina

      Delete
  5. I happen to be moving up to third grade next year, so I will be able to use it. Thank you for preparing these ideas. My children have a Cranium Mega Fort, but I kow there are also some other brands of large construction kits. Do you think pool noodles might work? The windbags would be easier to store but I might like something a little more solid. Thanks!
    Tammy at Second Helpings for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I never thought of using pool noodles! I bet they would be sturdier, too. BTW, I'm your newest follower:)

      Selina

      Delete
  6. Selina, Could you tell me where you found the organizer for the pattern blocks.
    sharonleaskbrooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for some great ideas to use with my students!

    ReplyDelete