Friday, January 20, 2012

Valentine Goodies


So most of the things I share with you I've tried out in my own classroom. This is a new idea I had, and it hasn't been classroom tested. This is a Valentine Day Math Mat. I had seen lots of these types of mats for primary students but never for intermediate students, so I decided to create some. A couple of weeks after I created this one I got a Really Good Stuff catalog, and they had several for intermediate grades. Oh well, this one is free. Please let me know what you think. I've created one for the 100th Day, and I'm working on ones for other holidays. Just cut it out and tape together. You will need a package of conversation hearts. Click HERE for your free copy. UPDATE: If you downloaded this, you need to download the revision. I did not have enough columns. The 1st grade Math Mat is at the END of this post.

Teaching Tip of the Week
Motivate writers with a song!


A couple of years ago, I picked up this singing elephant during the Valentine season. He/she sings, "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch." When I have a writing conference with my students, I have students read a writing selection of their choice to me. If I find a really great piece to highlight, I push the button on the elephant and serenade the students. I change the words to, "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, you know I LOVE your WRITING!" The student beams with pride. I don't over do it and I'm pretty picky. In other words it has to be showcase worthy.  I try to showcase one or two writers a week. I do look extra hard for those struggling writers. Sometimes I just highlight one sentence. I can't begin to tell you how successful this has been. Most of the students desperately want their writing to be worthy. I do think they put more into it. After I started this, I found these elephant writing pins on Ebay. I had to have them. I bought all the seller had.  I give one every 9 weeks to the top writer. Keep in mind I teach 4th grade, but I have one student who wears it EVERY day.
I have no idea if you can get either of these items anymore, and couldn't begin to tell you where to look. Before you throw something at me, I came up with something you CAN get right now during Valentine season. I found a giraffe that sings, "Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher." I plan to change the words to, "Your WRITING has lifted me higher." I made a heart that says, "Your Writing." and taped it over the last heart. I also created a giraffe printable. I plan to print it on sticker paper, but you could just print and laminate. I got this at Wal-Mart and I cringe to tell you the price, $16.95. I KNOW! If you want to risk them  running out, you could get it after Valentine's for half off. Click HERE for your free giraffe sticker printable.
Just Because I Love You
I decided to give you a little extra this week and created another freebie for you. Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch is such a great Valentine book. The theme is easy for kids to pick out, too. If you click on the cover of the book, it will take you to a FREE online video version of the book. It does have a commercial. If you click HERE it will take you to Storyline and you can click All Stories and choose it from the list. It it straight from the site without commercials. You can also choose download file size.  It also has some free activities and more great free books.   I think this one is really well done. I also created a story map to accompany the book. Click HERE for your free copy. 

If you have enjoyed anything I've created, I would love for you to follow my blog. Either way, I wish you luck as you create magic in your classroom.  Have a  magical Valentines!


Breaking The Rules:

  This blog is primarily for grade 3-6 teachers, but if you've followed my blog closely, you know my mother is a 1st grade teacher. She needs a couple of activities for her firsties on Tuesday, so I created  them for her. It just seemed a waste to only share it with my mom. I hope my target audience, 36 teachers, will forgive me. Click HERE or the picture for the 1st grade math mat.
The second thing I created was a sequencing activity for the picture book Arthur's Valentine. Click HERE or on the picture for the printable. This book is also available free online. Click on the cover of the book for the link.


27 comments:

  1. I love the math mat! I am going to post it on my facebook page! It has a good amount of important skills; it will be perfect for workshop time!!! thanks for sharing : )

    http://thediaryofanotsowimpyteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it. Let me know how it works out in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Selina, You have some awesome ideas on your blog !! I love your blog. I am a homeschool mom and I love to read peoples blogs especially teacher blogs & homeschool blogs. It sounds like you take your teaching seriously and want your students to succeed.
    That is a trait that is not common anymore. I will give you a thumbs up for that. I am a new follower and I will be checking in here often :-)Thank you for all these neat ideas and God bless you & please keep up your love for teaching, believe me your kids will thank you for taking the time to care about them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words. I feel very blessed to love my job. I'm one of the fortunate few who work under a great administration. So many teachers are being driven out of this profession because of poor leadership. I have tremendous respect for homeschooling parents. I think your job is much harder than mine. I'm following your blog, too! I hope you do drop back by and find freebies you can use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are too sweet Selina, I wish my kids would of had teachers like you in public school. We had one who we are still friends with
    he is an awesome person and he also takes his teaching seriously and you can see the lights in his eyes when one of his students click on to something.But unfortunately they were not all like him. I could tell you some horror stories we went through with the PS system. But I do know they need more like you & him. I agree it does take an awesome administration & leadership for a school system to work. Oh no honey I think your job is tougher you have what 30 kids ?? I only have 3, lol so much easier...
    and when I get stressed or just don't feel up to par I can take a break or not have school that day. I do respect teachers like you & just know when parents know their children have an awesome teacher they know they are getting the best out of her and that their children will thrive in her class. I just posted a blog about your site and I will check in ...and chat more.
    God bless and have an awesome weekend !! TY for following us also ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the shout out! It is so nice when parents tell you they appreciate you. I know the teacher you are still friends with appreciates your praise. I have to share something that I learned today, and I hope you won't think I'm bragging. I had a former student's parent write the most lovely easy about me and that essay won me a prize package worth almost $25,000. I was one of only seven teachers selected as Wonder Bread's 7 Wonders of the USA. I get an all expense trip to New Orleans where I will teach a lesson in the historic district. I also won 25 computer tablets for my classroom. But I can honestly tell you the sweet words about my teaching meant more to me than the prizes. I apologize for rambling on, but I'm just so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH WOW SELINA !! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU !! OH MY, TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS,ONE OF THE PLACES I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO !! AND COMPUTER TABLETS... I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU (HENCE THE CAPS) SEE I TOLD YOU !! GOD REWARDS THOSE WHO DESERVE IT !! SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING ?? WOW I AM SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU.CONGRATULATIONS !! I WAS THINKING THE OTHER DAY, I READ THIS SOMEWHERE, THAT WHEN YOU DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN WE WILL SEE ALL THE PEOPLE WHOSE LIVES WE TOUCHED.
    I WAS THINKING WOW THAT WILL BE AWESOME AND SOME WE HAVE TOUCHED WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT. ISN'T THAT DEEP ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I'm not sure when I will go, but I do know it is during the school year because my students get to see me live in New Orleans. My hubby gets to go for free, too:) I give all the glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen.. Well keep me posted please :-)Oh a wonderful time for a little romantic getaway also ♥ I wish we could see ya teaching there
    that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog via Pinterest! I'm proud to say I'm your newest follower! You have such awesome ideas! I love the idea of encouraging students with the singing elephant and giraffe! I also liked your hands-on approach with following directions on making the snowflake and cookie! Thank you SO much for sharing! :)

    ~Ashlee

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashlee, thank you so much! I like to switch things up because sometimes the novelty of something wears off. However, when I tried to replace the elephant with the giraffe on Monday some of my students threw a fit. The elephant is back. I will try with my next group of kiddos:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely adore this post!!! Thank you so much for the Valentine mat- looks awesome. New follower!

    Jen from
    Creative and Curious Kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! I'm following you, too!!!!! Love your blog.

      Delete
  13. Love this Valentine Math Mat!!! Can't wait to use it! Super Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm working hard on a mini-unit for Presidents' Day, so come back and grab a free copy.

      Delete
  14. I just found this math mat on pinterest! I LOVE IT! My kids will love it even more :) THanks for sharing!
    ☼Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
  15. My 7th and 8th grade math students did your intermediate Valentine Math Mat today in class! They LOVED it! Some quotes, "This is awesome!" "This is a weird lesson, but I like it!" "You are the best teacher ever!" And from me to you: Thank you for helping me be better teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made my day!!! Thank you for leaving this awesome comment.

      Selina

      Delete
  16. I want learn magic you have shared good techniques

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for these cute ideas! I am a new follower!!

    Melissa
    Love, Hugs, and Ladybugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your ideas!! Since I work with various age students I will use both upper elementary and lower elementary tasks!!! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oughh great job for seo, its amazing

    ReplyDelete