Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Freebies

May 5th is Cinco de Mayo and I've created a couple of freebies to help you celebrate. I'm in the middle of my Countries Around the World Unit. We've already started learning all about Mexican traditions. Last week we made paper mache pinatas. It was fun and MESSY! They were still a little wet on Friday, so I thought I would wait until Monday to paint and stuff. I'll try to post pictures latter.
Skippyjon Jones is a must read! Click  the cover for a free online version of the book. I also created an inferring vocabulary to go with the book. I made two versions. The first version allows you to choose any words from the book to infer meaning with. In the second version, I chose a few Spanish words from the book for students to infer the meaning of using context clues. Click  the picture for a free copy.

And last but not least, I've created a Cinco de Mayo Math Mat. All you need to add is a small baggie of colored candy. My students have really enjoyed the other ones I've made for celebrations. This one hasn't been classroom tested, so please let me know if there are any mistakes and I'll fix them. Click  the picture for your free copy.
Good luck as you continue to create magic in your classroom!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! My third graders will enjoy this activity, especially since we end our year with a Fiesta. We too, study Mexico and I love the inferring idea to go along with the Skippy John Jones book. This is a must do for me this schol year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary! I'm so happy you can use this in your classroom. There's only 31/2 weeks left for me. I'm so looking forward to summer vacation.

    Selina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you like the math mats. My kids really like them, too or maybe just the candy part:) BTW, I'm your newest follower!

      Selina

      Delete
  4. I love how you start your blog posts with a book. Such a great resource for us all!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete