Friday, June 15, 2012

Science Camp Fun and Freebie


I just finished a fun and fabulous week of Science Camp. I taught grades 1st through 5ht. Boy, do I have a new found respect for you 1st grade teachers. I wanted to share a couple of the lessons I taught and give you a little freebie. One of the activities was making a water cycle bracelet. I've seen numerous versions of this, but this is my twist on it. I made up a Water Cycle Dance for the little ones. We started out in a circle and made a circle with our arms to represent the sun, then wiped our brow because of the heat, slowly evaporated up towards the sky, shivered and condensed into a cloud (puffed out checks), pretended to be weighed down and began to fall to the ground,and clap out the sound of rain with our hands. Finally, we crawled back to our spot to represent the water returning to the oceans, rivers, and lakes. We did this a couple of times to show that the water cycle never ends. Click on the picture to grab of copy of the water cycle bracelet guide.

Attention! I'm so excited to have a great resource to add. Mrs. Plum from There's No Place Like 2nd Grade created a great printable to go with the water cycle bracelet. She said her students added it to their science journal. Love this idea! Click {HERE} for the printable. Make sure you drop by her blog and show her some love. Thanks so much for sharing with us! 



Another activity was making liter bugs. First, I read the book The Wartville Wizard. This is a great book about a tidy old man that spent his time cleaning up the litter that the thoughtless slobs of Waterville left behind. The kids loved it. Afterward we made litter bugs out of trash. 
These are just a couple of the dozens of activities we did. I will try to share more over the next few weeks. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer break.

14 comments:

  1. loved the bracelet, can't wait to see what else you did. so innovative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa! I'm soooo tired! I'm not use to teaching 1st graders, but they were so cute. One little boy told me he was going home with me:)

    Selina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the water cycle bracelets!! I've seen these before along with other cycles - a conference I went to was featuring them!

    By the way, I just wanted to let you know that I have chosen to award you The Lovely Blog award! Stop by my blog to pick it up and put it on your blog if you would like! :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selina, I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I have an accompanying note-page (half-size to fit a composition book) for students' science notebooks that I made and can pass along for you to add!

    Sarah
    There's No Place Like Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to add it. Is it a blog post that I can link to? If you leave me the link, I will add it with a link back to your blog.

      Thanks!
      Selina

      Delete
    2. It isn't since it's something I created during student teaching (I actually just started blogging). I'd be happy to make it publicly available on Google Drive and can give you the link! :)

      Sarah
      There's No Place Like Second Grade

      Delete
    3. I would love that, and I will give you credit with a link to your blog.

      Thanks,
      Selina

      Delete
    4. Here's the link to the PDF on Google! I hope it's of some use. :) I had my 3rd graders color-code their writing and then illustrate their finished bracelets below this on their notebook page. I should have snapped a picture, but I totally forgot to!

      Sarah
      There's No Place Like Second Grade

      Delete
    5. I LOVE it! Thanks again!

      Selina

      Delete
    6. You're so very welcome! I've been meaning to put everything together as a unit, and this post totally reminded me. :)

      Sarah
      There's No Place Like Second Grade

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the water cycle bracelet! Genius! I am glad I found your blog! I am your newest follower!
    Leah
    Learning 4 Keeps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah! The link to your blog is not working. If you will leave me the link here, I will follow you back!

      Selina

      Delete